On a day presenting weather that epitomizes “The Gloom”, 7 sturdy steeds descended upon the Bear Creek 10 miler to see what the adverse conditions had in store…none were disappointed. Observations and commendations were as follows:
- Conditions at BC offered a new and unique challenge. Cold, extremely damp conditions were coupled with trails that were covered in (deep) mud and made for some cold stream crossings.
- Newly “installed” obstacle course involved over 50 to 100 downed trees that had to be climbed or jumped over (or crawled under).
- To say the mud was deep and omnipresent is not an exaggeration. One had to be extremely careful going down hills. Also, we had two PAX (TYA and Flipper) have their shoes sucked-up by the primordial ooze. TYA said it took two hands and leverage to extricate his shoe.
- Flip-Dog ran his first 10 miler ever. What’s equally more impressive is that it was under these conditions.
- Per usual, Gomer Pyle made others blush in his running tights. YHC is convinced he must have prosthetic inserts in those pants…no-one absent an NFL-Running Back has definition like that.
- Olivander was ninja-like, as he managed to advance ahead of Shakedown without being seen. His outfit, which resembled something whey would wear on the space shuttle, may have had something to do with it.
- Bootleg was all business as he smoked the trail run and came in with an impressive time. Amazing what he continues to accomplish.
- It was great seeing TYA race another woman for placement in the females-over-50 category. Here’s to hoping he is still in the top 3.
- Circle K put it well…Absent hanging with us knuckleheads, Col-Beer and Chicken Bog was his main reason for being there.
- HUGE shout-out to Shakedown for presenting the PAX with a post-run tailgate. His Lab-Rat-esque Chicken (and sausage) Bog stood on its own and took the chill out of a very chilled and worn-out PAX. He also offered some to a number of passers-by out of good fellowship – for which Shakedown is well known.
- Feel free to add anything I missed fellas