9 faithful and 1 FNG posted for our inaugural attempt at The Murph* (explanation and our revised version to follow). Here’s how it went down:
Start promptly at 0530 to run the VITA trail and head to pull-up bars. Following a brief/ineffective tutorial on kipping pull-ups, begin 100 pull-ups, 200 merkins and 300 squats. Note: the pull-ups were on a team number, and the merkins and squats were individual goals.
At 0602 we pulled the plug and ran the VITA again. The PAX, minus the Q, engaged in some plank work and ended on time. Viral took us out.
NMM: For those who don’t know, “The Murph” is a Crossfit WOD named after Navy Lt Michael Murphy who died in Afghanistan in 2005. If you have seen the movie or read Lone Survivor, you know about his sacrifice. Needless to say, we didn’t wear body armor, and we didn’t attempt the full 100 pull-ups per person. This was more of an intro to a Crossfit classic, and I think we learned some things:
- We’re going to need to learn to do kipping pull-ups to ever get to 100 per person.
- Kipping pull-ups will rip even well established calluses right off your hands.
- The Murph needs to be done in a 1 hr workout vs a 45 min slot.
- We were close enough in this attempt that I am 100% that we can all do this!
- Circle K can crank out some pull-ups! Who knew?
YHC has no idea how everyone else did, but Circle K completed our version, and YHC was 40 squats from being done. Everyone else can post their results or not, but I know everyone put a very good dent in it. Strong work by all!
Special welcome to FNG – Patrick Murtaugh, now known as Bartles and Jaymes. Zima is EH’ing after only one workout!
- 2nd F Event Friday 1730 at The Answer- Pre Convergence chance to hang with Gnarly Goat
- CONVERGENCE 0700 Saturday, DogPile with GROW school led by Gnarly Goat at ET’s immediately following the workout
- BRR is oh so soon
- 9/17 F3 team at Reese Strong 5k: http://www.reesestrong.org/reesestrong-5k/
- 9/24 F3 Team at Spartan, see Toga or just signup
- See Flashdance if interested in Festy run, early Oct.
Beatdown achievement unlocked, Toga.
Wish I had thought of this at 615 but I think we missed out on a Golden Wine Cooler opportunity …
Welcome Bartles & Jaymes and nice to meet you Zima!
Well done, gents.
Johnsonville pulled out the Murph at Dogpile at some point in the past 2 years…maybe on Memorial Day last year?…I couldn’t find the BackBlast when searching quickly…we needed all 60 minutes, though.
Toga, loved the disclaimer and intro to F3 that you provided today! Good beatdown, really loved the Murph. With the new style of pull-ups, I have hope that I can soon complete more than one without assistance.
Great Q Toga. Complete agreement regarding the calluses, my hands were killing me all day. Arms felt good this morning, although my poor form is what allowed me to “look” like I was cranking out some pull-ups. F3 RVA focus on pullups lately has definitely showed for the whole PAX.