In the sub-zero gloom, 15 headband heroes assembled to face the sure hardships of Heartbreak Ridge. Already sweaty from many track laps, HANDSHAKE was first to greet YHC in the gloom. The ShovelFlag was planted and the PAX assembled. In loving support of YHC’s alma mater, GUMBO not only sported a skin tight headband, but also skin-tight red&yellow “Gym Dike” from his VMI Glory Days – bringing warmth to YHC’s heart and general amusement among the PAX. Coming up on the 0530 start, YHC reminded the PAX of our F3 Credo – “Leave no man behind, but leave no man where you found him.” Today, that entailed carrying our wounded warrior SHAKEDOWN for any & all runs. This is how it went down…
- Around Parking Lot to pick up stragglers – a few hearty volunteers appearing as pall bearers on the run, carrying the venerable Shakedown (who maintained excellent core-burn form and attempted to take pictures from 6 feet up)
COP #1: (back at the ShovelFlag)
- x20 SSH …that’s enough, too many better things to tackle
MOSEY single file around track:
- Follow the leader – layups, low side shuffles, butt kickers, high knees, bear crawls, running backwards, etc.
- End at Pull-up Bar in a line, high knees, right face, UpDown-Merkins, plank
- Morning Call: While each brother completes 5 pull-ups in turn, the PAX completes 5 matching Merkins, holding Plank between turns. When done with his 5, brother-on-bar calls out his F3Name which was echoed with gusto by the pushing PAX
MOSEY to The Ridge:
- Single file on track with more follow-the-leader exercises
- Partner Up at The Ridge
- BURP Back Mountain: Partner 1 starts Burpees at bottom while Partner 2 goes up/down hill 3x (Bernie Sanders up, runs back down) then switches with Partner 1 …partners complete 100 burpees all together. Burptastic BERNs all around!
- When finished, help complete the SIX’s Burpees, then perform the “ABC’s” – on your six with legs together, trace letters (kudos to GUMBO for finishing the alphabet)
MOSEY to Hand Rails & grab a new partner
- #10 Jerkins (pull-ups on bottom rail, legs held)
- #10 CliffHanger Merkins (pushups on top rail, legs held)
- #10 2-count PoleDancers (When FLANGE began twerking on an upright rail, YHC thought it wise to provide demonstration – lying on six parallel to low bar pulling chest up to rail – two count with head to each side counts as one)
MOSEY back up around parking lot to far side from ShovelFlag
- Dr. TryHard’s newest Exergame “Capture the Flag”!
- Split PAX into two teams, planking in lines facing one another
- Caterpillar to ShovelFlag (last man box jumps over planking teammates to the front, repeato until flag reached)
- Winning team performed Flutter Kicks while the Runners-Up enjoyed 10 more Burpees
- Side Note: DON DRAPER’s winners-circle secret = increasing space between planking teammates covers more ground faster… yes, YHC enjoyed 10 extra Burpees!
- Losers joined winner for another minute of AYG OYO Flutterkicks
EXTRA TIME COP #6: (YHC amazed with how fast the PAX is zipping through the planned workouts):
- Back to Rails for another round of Jerkins/Merkins/Dancers
- GUMBO provided wait-for-the-six plankercises
- Another follow-the-leader exercise loop around the lot
- Merkin Wave – YHC called out each Merkin variety, each brother completing x3 to rapid-fire pass around the circle (diamonds, werkins, fingertip, ranger)
- A little more Mary – Freddie Mercurys x20 IC, then YHC calling degrees to hold legs (90, 60, 10, 30, 90, etc)
- Dr. TryHard’s all new Workout Finalizer – The CircleMerk !!! (double entendre appreciated by all) – Plank walk to middle, shoulder to shoulder, then Rt arm over next man passed around, then x3 Single Hand Merkins. Booyah!
- Oh wait…still have 90 seconds…so 90 SSH’s it is
- NOW we’re done… Way to work fellas!
- The FORGE – new AO at Huguenot High starting 4/4
- Personalized F3 Shirts coming soon