9 PAX (1 FNG, welcome Freefall) for the first iteration of Q school. I believe we all learned at least one “truth nugget”. YHC knows he did.
A. I am not a professional.
B. You are participating at your own risk
C. You are responsible for your own well-being
D. You are here voluntarily, and you are not paying to be here
E. Know your limits and do the best you can
Side Straddle Hops (SSH) x 25, In Cadence (IC) 4 CT
Shoulder Circles x 20, IC 4 CT
Mountain Climbers x 20, IC 4 CT
Freedom Twists x 20, IC 4 CT
Merkins x 15, IC 4 CT
Big Boy Sit-ups x 20 On Your Own (OYO)
Discussed calling two minute and one minute warnings before workout, mumble chatter, how to call an exercise, and how to count.
1. “The Next Exercise is _______”
2. “Starting Position … Move”
3. “In Cadence … Exercise”
Q: 1,2,3 PAX: 1
Mosey to field for a Beast.
The BEAST is 6 exercises, performing 6 reps at 6 stops.
5 lines (Think Football field, end zone, 25, 50, 25, other end zone). Start at first line, sprint to second and do 6 reps, then to third and do 6 reps, then to fourth and do 6 reps, run to fifth line and back to fourth for 6 reps, back to third for 6 reps, back to second 6 reps, run to start line. Hold Plank until all finish.
Big boy sit-ups
Wide Arm Merkins
Burpees (a crowd favorite)
Between each set, a truth nugget was dropped on the PAX about Q’ing. These were
1. It’s not about YOU.
2. Actually PLAN your Workout
3. If you can’t DO IT, you can’t Q IT (We do not “clipboard” in F3. You, as the Q, will need to be able and willing to do anything you call for the pax to do. That doesn’t mean you have to be “first,” but if you cannot do 20 Merkins, with proper form, in cadence, then you cannot call it and ask the PAX to do it.)
4. Better to have too MUCH than not ENOUGH
5. Always wear a WATCH (We start and end on-time. End time is the end of the workout and not the end of COT. Cutting workout short if several FNGs is okay but should not be the norm.)
6. NEVER Leave a Man Behind (This is one of the bedrock principles of F3. We start together and finish together. If large number of PAX, assign a “sweeper” to this duty.)
Mosey to the steps for the first half of “Roller Coaster.” One Irkin (incline pushup) on every other step. 72 steps total. Retrieve rocks while the PAX finish.
Rock Olympics. Practiced “How to call an exercise,” and “How to Count.”
45 to 90 degree curls, full curls, shoulder presses, goblet squats, tricep extensions, rock merkins, thrusters, and bent row.
Mosey to 2nd methane pipe for some Partner Sets
100 Merkins (P1 does 10 while P2 holds plank; 100 total for group)
100 Little Baby Crunches (LBCs) (P1 does 10 while P2 holds 6 inches 100 total for group)
100 Squats (P1 does 10 while P2 holds air chair (Al Gore); 100 total for group)
Focus here is on Mumble Chatter, Morale, and Camaraderie.
Praise individually and critique as a group (e.g., bad form on squats)
Discussed Paying Attention to the PAX
1. Engage the PAX
2. LOOK at the Pax
3. Demonstrate when needed
4. Don’t be afraid to alter your workout if it isn’t working for the Pax (or you have planned too much). Scully does this to perfection. Didn’t YHC just say to praise individually and critique as a group?
Down the hill to bathhouse.
Number off 1 and 2. 1’s complete 10 donkey kicks. 2’s hold balls to the wall. Flapjack.
Mosey to shovel flag.
On your six, big boy sit-ups until PAX names 1 of the 5 core principles of an F3 workout. Hold 6 inches for 5 seconds. Resume big boy sit-ups until next core principle is named. Repeat for all 5.
1. Are free of charge
2. Are open to ALL men
3. Are held outdoors, rain or shine, heat or cold
4. Are led by men who participate in the workout in a rotating fashion, with no training or certification necessary
5. End with a circle of trust
Circle of Trust (COT):
James 3:1 (ESV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.
Teachers must hold themselves to a higher standard. Appropriate as YHC almost forgot to perform count-o-rama and namerama (Thank you Bachelor Pad).
Count-o-rama and namerama
Ball of Man (BOM)
Naked Man Moleskin (NMM) and Announcements:
It was great to have FNG (Andre named Freefall) out with us today. He crushed it today and is already on the F3 App and checking out other workouts. Aye!
An audible almost had to be called on the mosey to the 2nd methane pipe as the women’s track team was surrounding it. That could have been an awkward moment for a group of men to run up beside 20 high school girls and start working out.
Dogpile/Reesestrong 5K the Hard Way/Crab Picking/Picnic is on Sep. 16. Contact SubMac.
GoRuck Light same day (Sep. 16) 1400-1900. Contact Mentos.
September Challenge (Quad P) is #Growth. 1 pt. FNG, 1 pt. FNG’s 2nd post, 1 pt. “Kotter” (has not posted in at least 1 month).