10 PAX made it out for a Captain Marvel-themed workout, as YHC felt compelled to mark the occasion of the movie premiere. Most of the reps were taken from the character’s history (for a summary, see moleskine below).
- SSH – 19
- Arm Circles – 7/7
- Chinooks – 9
- Squat – 8
- Imperial Walkers – 19
- Through the Tunnel – 8
- Burpee – 2 OYO
Mosey to the parking deck, 2nd floor for The Thang, focused around the tagline for Captain Marvel’s comic: Higher, Further, Faster, More.
Perform the following exercises together then mosey to next end of garage, making way up.
- LBC (IC) – 68
- Hand Clap Merkin – 19
- Overhead Clap – 68
- Burpee – 19
- Calf Raise – 68
- Jumping Lunge/Bonny Blair – 19
- Bobby Hurley – 19
Having reached the top of the garage, the PAX ran further than we had before (at last at Ironclad) by running down the garage, out to the pond, and twice around, end in front of LOVE sign, for a total of 1.1 miles good toward Quad P.
At each quarter of the pond, the PAX performed two exercises IC or on Q with reps of 20 then 12, then sprinted to the next quarter of the pond.
- Superman / Incline Merkin
- Chillcut Plank / Decline Merkin
- American Hammer / CDD
- Yoga Plank / Dip
- Gas Pump / Alternating Shoulder Taps
- Flutter Kicks / Mountain Climbers
- Freddy Mercury / Edge Merkin
- Boxcutter / Merkin
Mosey back to the flags.
Circle up for a Fire Drill where each PAX calls out “FIRE!” and all PAX drop to do 2 Merkins (instead of fully dropping to ground).
Dealer’s choice Mary that included, among others:
- Leg Lifts
- Hello Dollys
- Freddy Mercurys
Recover recover. Countarama, Namearama.
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.2 Corinthians 5:20–21
- YHC noted that we like superheroes because they sacrifice for something greater than themselves, and inspire others to do the same.
- The PAX were reminded that Jesus is perhaps the greatest example of this (though he did much more than just this).
- The PAX were encouraged to likewise seek to sacrifice for something greater than themselves, be it at F3, at work, in family, church, or friendships.
- During the workout, YHC did not inform the PAX that the “More” portion was also part of Captain Marvel’s tagline, because YHC was unsure of whether or not the timing was going to necessitate getting to that point.
- The sprinting portion left the PAX–as the British say–“knackered.” But that didn’t keep Funny Car from showing up the rest of the PAX (except Dreamliner) on one stretch.
- According to YHC’s fitness tracker, this was the calorie-burningest workout YHC has ever Q-ed.
- The history of Captain Marvel used for the reps in the exercise is as follows:
- 1968 – Carol Danvers introduced as human sidekick to the alien Mar-Vell
- 1977 – Gains powers from Mar-Vell, takes the name Miss Marvel
- 1982 – Gains new powers, joins X-men, takes the name Binary
- 1998 – Loses new power, leaves X-men takes the name Warbird
- 2012 – Takes over the mantle of Captain Marvel
- 2019 – Movie premieres.
F3 Important Links
- Q Schedule: Just sign up. We can help you prepare.
- QuadP (aka “Priorities’ Pointless Periodic Priority” aka Monthly Challenge).
- F3 App: Available on Google Play or Apple App Store. This is the one-stop shop for all things F3 Hampton Roads. Download it and get connected. (Note: The app is a separate account from f3rva.org but the username and password can be the same).
- Twitter: @F3HamptonRoads
- Facebook: F3HamptonRoads